Introduction

After creating and validating the custom Nepal MUTM coordinate systems in Civil 3D, I needed a reliable way to restore them after a Windows/Civil 3D reinstall or deploy them to another computer.

For this, I used Civil 3D/Map 3D's coordinate-system library export/import workflow and tested the backup on a fresh Civil 3D installation inside a virtual machine.

The result was successful:

  • 9 definitions imported
  • 0 skipped
  • 0 failed
  • Restored MUTM-84CM projection test passed

1. What the Backup Contains

The XML package contains:

  • MUTM-81CM
  • MUTM-84CM
  • MUTM-87CM
  • NAG_DATUM
  • Everest ellipsoid dependency
  • NAG_DATUM_TO_WGS84
  • WGS84_TO_NAG_DATUM
  • NAG_DATUM_TO_WGS84_PATH
  • WGS84_TO_NAG_DATUM_PATH

Total:

9 coordinate-library definitions

Main MUTM parameters:

Projection : Transverse Mercator
Scale Factor : 0.9999
False Easting : 500000 m
False Northing : 0 m
Unit : Meter
Datum : NAG_DATUM

2. Confirm the Fresh Civil 3D Library Is Clean

Before importing the backup, I opened the Coordinate System Library on the fresh VM:

MAPCSLIBRARY

I searched for:

MUTM-84CM

I also searched:

NAG_DATUM

Again, no result was found.

This confirmed that the custom Nepal MUTM definitions were not already installed.

3. Import the XML Backup

The backup file was:

Nepal_MUTM_Coordinate_Library_v1.0.xml

On the VM, I ran:

MAPCSLIBRARYIMPORT





I selected the XML file.

Civil 3D asked:

Do you want to import all definitions [Yes/No] <Yes>:

Y

4. Check the Import Result

Civil 3D reported:

Imported:

Successfully 9 definitions (3 CS)
Skipped 0 definitions (0 CS)
Failed 0 definitions (0 CS)

This confirmed that the complete XML package imported successfully.

5. Restart Civil 3D

Immediately after importing, the new definitions were not yet visible in the library.

I therefore:

  1. Closed the Coordinate System Library.
  2. Closed Civil 3D.
  3. Restarted Civil 3D.
  4. Opened a new drawing.
  5. Ran: MAPCSLIBRARY
After restart, the imported definitions were visible.

6. Verify the Restored Coordinate Systems

Searching for: MUTM



showed:

MUTM-81CM MUTM-81CM(PCS)
MUTM-84CM MUTM-84CM(PCS)
MUTM-87CM MUTM-87CM(PCS)
All three referenced: NAG_DATUM
The following definitions were also restored:
NAG_DATUM
NAG_DATUM_TO_WGS84
WGS84_TO_NAG_DATUM
NAG_DATUM_TO_WGS84_PATH
WGS84_TO_NAG_DATUM_PATH
The Everest ellipsoid dependency was also present.

7. Test the Restored MUTM-84 Coordinate System

To verify that the restored coordinate system actually worked, I assigned: MUTM-84CM(PCS)

Then I tested the known geographic drawing and export to kml and boom it project on exact posion.

MUTM-84 projection test: PASS

Conclusion

The custom Nepal MUTM Civil 3D coordinate library was successfully restored on a fresh Civil 3D virtual machine.

The restored MUTM-84CM coordinate system also passed the projection test.

This confirms that the XML file can be used as a practical backup and deployment package for the Nepal MUTM coordinate library.

Developed by: Kamal Bikram Garamja
Website: onlinetobrain.blogspot.com

Note: For XML file contact me.

Post a Comment

Please No spam link, No Hate Speech in the comment box.

Previous Post Next Post